Whether you’re recording running, biking, flying, driving, or boating videos, the black SJ8 Pro 4K Action Camera from SJCAM features a waterproof case, a touchscreen, and gyro stabilization to capture sharp, high-quality footage no matter what the scene. The lightweight plastic body weighs only a few ounces and features a SONY IMX377 CMOS sensor with an Ambarella H22 S85 chipset.
The SJ8 Pro records MP4 H.264/H.265 video at a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160p at 60 fps, and takes 12MP JPEG/raw photos at a maximum resolution of 4000 x 3000. It has a 170° wide angle lens that facilitates quick focus and captures a large field of view, and it has an 8x digital zoom. Numerous modes add to the functionality of the camera such as time-lapse, photo burst, slow motion, video+photo, and TV mode, and it even has settings for car (syncs to engine with optional cable) and FPV (first person view) modes.
Its 2.33″ IPS retina LED rear touchscreen provides access to settings such as brightness, color temperature, external mic, frequency, and Wi-Fi, each allowing you to fine-tune your setup. It also has a front OLED LCD with basic information like timecode, resolution, battery level, and record mode.
The SJ8’s 1200mAh battery lasts approximately 90 minutes on a full charge and can be charged via a USB Type-C cable. Since it’s removable, you can purchase a spare to swap in for longer shoots and charge with a separately available battery charger. The unit records to a microSD card with a maximum size of 128GB, and you can also output your video and photos via the USB-C port. There is a speaker on top and two noise-cancelling mics integrated into the front and side of the housing, and you can also purchase a separately available external mic that plugs into the USB-C port.
The unit is equipped with 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, and an optional wireless remote can be purchased separately to control video start/stop, photo burst, Wi-Fi on/off, photo shutter, and camera on/off. You can also use your iOS or Android smartphone to control the camera’s operations or edit and share your photos and videos with the free SJCAM Zone app.
The SJ8 comes with multiple mounting options, bases, and plates for optimal placement flexibility, as well as a waterproof housing for underwater shots. The camera package also includes a USB Type-C cable, lens cap, and cleaning cloth.
- Panasonic SONY IMX117 CMOS sensor; Ambarella H22 S85 chipset
- 4K MP4 H.264/H.265 video at a maximum resolution of 3840 x 2160p at 60 fps; slow-motion recording at 1280 x 720p at 240 fps
- 12MP JPEG/raw photos at a maximum resolution of 4000 x 3000
- Inner six-axis gyroscope for stabilization
- 2.33″ retina LCD rear touchscreen with access to settings and modes; front OLED status display
- Numerous camera modes including time-lapse, photo burst, slow motion, video+photo, and TV mode, as well as settings for car (syncs to engine with optional cable) and FPV (first person view) modes
- Configurable settings including brightness, color temperature, external mic, frequency, language, power, format, date/time, UI, and Wi-Fi
- 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi connectivity, optional remote control to control on/off, shutter, burst, and start/stop functions
- SJCAM Zone smartphone app for camera control and photo/video editing and sharing available for iOS and Android
- Multiple mounts, bases, plates, waterproof and touchscreen-access housing doors included; USB Type-C cable, lens cap, and cleaning cloth also included